Kade Knowles Medical expenses

Campaign Created by: Tracy Sevey
  • campaign image new;
  • campaign image new
  • campaign image new
  • campaign image new
  • campaign image new
  • campaign image new
  • campaign image new
  • campaign image new
  • campaign image new
  • campaign image new
  • campaign image new
  • campaign image new
  • campaign image new
  • campaign image new
  • campaign image new
The funds from this campaign will be received by Tracy Sevey.

0%

Goal : $50,000

Raised : $36,150

Give Now
243
47
150

Our grandson Kade Knowles is 3 months old. Thursday July 15th he began drooling. What was thought to be the start of teething turned in lethargic and abnormal crying. Painful crying and something was wrong. Our son and daughter in law, Britney and Jordan Knowles took Kade to the ER. He was then admitted. CT scans, covid, blood work, ultra sounds, urine test have all come back normal or negative. Friday July 16th the nurse gave Kade baby Tylenol for a fever and he was unable to swallow. He stopped breathing for 2 minutes. He was then placed on a ventilator and has been intibated ever since. His Dr suspected botulism. He then contacted the California Heath Dept specialists to confirm a diagnosis. Botulism toxins attacks the nervous system and this is why Kade is unable to swallow. His little body's nerves are not working and needed this medication. The Dr. then tried another test. Lowering the sedation. Hoping Kade would begin to move his limbs. The same response you would have coming out of anesthesia. The response was not what we were hoping for. Little movement. He has Been off all sedation and antibiotics since he doesn't need them at this point. But he is still in the same state as if he were sedated. The cost for this medicine for the hospital to get it is $57,000. They will send it if the diagnosis was confirmed. They required a stool sample sent to CA in order for them to send the medication plus few days to test and confirm. Thankfully the Chief of Staff approved the request ahead of the confirmation. Medicine arrived early this morning and at 3am they began the treatment. As of yet, (5 hours) ago there is little change. However it may take a few days for the toxins to breakdown and leave his body. As you can imagine te concern is great. We are in complete faith, hope and trust in the Lord to work miracles. We are hopeful that Kade will regain all nerve activity. That his limbs, movement and functions will be fully restored. Mostly, that he will be able to swallow on his own when the ventilator is removed. The costs for his treatment in the PICU will be great. If you are able to give to help Jordan and Britney offset the bills that will follow and any after care for baby Kade we would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you for considering and serving. May God be glorified. Please follow updates

UPDATES

Update #18
August 28, 2021
facebook twitter

Kade has been home a few weeks and he is doing great! Gaining some strength back in his neck and legs each day. Trying to roll over again and making great progress. He will have a swallow study in a few weeks but he is doing really well! 

Update #17
August 8, 2021
facebook twitter

Kade is HOME! They released him today and NO feeding tube. He drank from the bottle all day yesterday and this morning. What a miracle this is. Thank you all for praying for Kades healing and recovery and for giving to help Jordan and Britney with his expenses. We appreciate you all and are eternally grateful. 

Update #16
August 6, 2021
facebook twitter

Wow! Kade drank 2 bottles today and his feeding tube is out. What a difference a day makes. Yesterday we thought he would go home on the feeding tube. They will keep him another 2 days or so to make sure he is able to drink in this position. He needs to lay on his right side, as being upright, on his back and the left side causes him to aspirate. His esophagus will heal over time but this is GREAT news. Praying for discharge this weekend. 

Update #15
August 4, 2021
facebook twitter

Kade is still in the hospital. He is getting his voice back when he cries and giggles. He managed to pull out his feeding tube today and It's safe to assume he is tired of having it. We are approaching the 3 week mark. He still is unable to swallow, nurse (or bottle) and breath at the same time. He may have the swallow study tomorrow and then again he may not. Britney will be learning how to put in his feeding tube in the event he will go home with it. We are praying and hoping he will be able to nurse or drink from the bottle in the next day or so to avoid the tube. Other than that he is ready to go home. Just a matter of time. 

Update #14
July 30, 2021
facebook twitter

Afternoon update from Britney: 
Unfortunately today we had a bit of a setback for our baby Kade. We will not be leaving this weekend like everyone anticipated. We had the ENT doctor come in who checked down his throat at his vocal cords since he still doesn’t have a voice at the moment, which was making them wonder why. He still is not swallowing like he should be which is leaving a lot in his throat. On top of that, his vocal cords are not closing all the way right now which is more than likely because he has not gained back the muscle control of them yet along with swallowing. The plan is to let him regain strength until Monday or Tuesday and from there will do a swallow test. We’re hoping it all comes back and looks good. 

On top of all of this, due to rising Covid numbers, they are moving to a code red on Monday. This means that I will be here by myself with Kade. We can only change out once every 24 hours between Jordan and I. We truly are praying he’ll be better on Monday and then we can go home. It has already been lonely, but now to not have Jordan is going to be even more difficult.

Update #13
July 29, 2021
facebook twitter

Update from Britney:
The Dr. came by today and said that normally infant botulism has a hospital stay of 1month, depending on recovery. The toxins in botulism is the most invasive toxin known to man and catching it sooner than later is best. Thankfully we did catch in within the first 24 hours. We want to make sure Kade is strong enough and we have no worries for him to be home. He still has a day and a half of weaning off medication and then they will monitor him for 12 hours after that to be sure there is no withdrawals to the sedation meds. Safe to say we have a few more days until he is cleared to go home. Speech therapist will also let us know when he is cleared and eating well. 
Thank you for praying for baby Kade. 
Britney~

Update #12
July 27, 2021
facebook twitter

Kade is free from the ventilator! Praise the Lord. He didnt even need oxygen after either. Still waiting to hear him cry as he will need a few days to regain and find his voice. He also sounds crackled in his lungs but that is to be expected considering 11 days on a vent. He will have speech, OT and PT and swallow therapy over the next few days but he made it! He is his happy little self and Britney got to hold him after all this time. thank you for continued prayer for Kades recovery. He is a miracle. 

Update #11
July 26, 2021
facebook twitter

Kade had a good day but remained on the ventiltor. We are going on Day 11. "Tomorrow" has been the theme of possibilities for it to be removed for a few days now. So we are hopeful that Monday 7/26 will actually be the day. He is such a good baby and has been such a trooper. We can tell he is about there and ready himself to have these tubes removed. We covet your prayers for baby Kade. 

Update #10
July 24, 2021
facebook twitter

Kade is alert and a little more active today. Eyes wide open and giving a few smiles. HE is still on the venitlator and will need another day or 2 to gain his strength and be able to breath on his own. But he is getting there day by day!. Praise the Lord, He is a miracle. 

Update #9
July 23, 2021
facebook twitter

Kade will remain on the ventilator for another day or 2. He struggled a bit this morning with his breathing and needs a little more time to heal and get stronger to be breath on his own. Fatigue can also play into this so more rest and less stress on him is needed. Thank you for continuing to pray for his recovery. 

Update #8
July 23, 2021
facebook twitter

Today was a good day. Kade was put on a CPAP machine and his ventilator was lowered. He was moving a lot more today and was more active and alert. IF he does well throughout the night the Dr may decide to remove the ventilator tomorrw (Friday) Pray Kade will be able to swallow as this was the first problem he had when his nerves began to shut down. Also that he can fully breath on his own. God is good. This is truly a miracle. 
Tracy~

Update #7
July 22, 2021
facebook twitter

July 21st: 

Kade is opening his eyes about half way and for a little longer with less struggle to hold them open. He is still on sleep medication to help with the pain of the vent down his throat. They moved his neck IV to his foot today. If he continues to regain his cough reflux, they will Monitor for a day or so and then decide to take it out from there. After he off the vent he will stay for a few more days to watch him and Make sure he is ready to go home. Please pray for wisdom for the Doctors for the right time to lower seadation. Pray he will be very responsive this time around. This will be a wonderful sign of healing in his little body. Also continued prayer he will swallow well and be able to breath on his own. Thank you for your prayers

Update #6
July 20, 2021
facebook twitter

Tuesday July 20th. 

Kades O2 levels from the ventilator have been lowered again to 10 breaths a minute. This is great news. His little body is able to breath much more than the machine is for him. He is also moving his lips a little bit and and opening his eyes a little bit more today. Continued prayer for more improvements every day. 

Update #5
July 20, 2021
facebook twitter

From Britney tonight: Monday July 19, 2021

Originally Kade’s ventilator was set to 25 breaths a minute this morning and they bumped it down to 20 and by this afternoon they dropped it to 15! He is doing so well on his own and being able to breathe far more over the ventilator. 

He has opened his eyes a bit more today and starting to move his neck and face more. 

After discussing with the nurse about how other babies who have botulism versus Kade have done, progress wise, she has said that Kade’s movement is significant. Some babies can’t move for days, but this gives us so much hope. 

He has been a little puffy and retaining water, so he was given a medicine to help him pee and release the fluid he is retaining. 

They tried to complete the PICC IV today and his veins were too small, so they just have to keep his main neck IV clean to not get infection. 

Kade is a little fighter and is doing so well. We feel that the diagnosis is accurate considering he is getting better. It could be weeks before we actually confirm that the results are botulism. He will be back to his normal self in just a little bit of time!

Update #4
July 19, 2021
facebook twitter

It is overwhelming to see how many people love Kade and our sons family. I am trying to keep up with the comments and reply to each of you personally. Thank you so very much to every single person and family who has given to Kades fund. Our entire family appreciates you all. 

Update #3
July 19, 2021
facebook twitter

Kade had an MRI tonight to check the vessels in his brain. Waiting for those tests and also still waiting for results from CA botulism test. Some good news late this evening. Kade had some movement of his arms and feet. Also beginning to open his eyes a bit more. This is progress! Continued prayers he gets stronger every hour. Looks like the medicine has finally started working. Thanks to everyone who has given to kades fund. Our family is overwhelmed with gratitude. 

Update #2
July 18, 2021
facebook twitter

Sunday afternoon July 18th, 2021. 2pm looking like Kade had a staph infection and strep B in his throat. Negative on any Neurological problems and looks good there. The other 2 would explain his fevers. Which can be treated with antibiotics which he was on but then stopped while waiting for the Antitoxin meds from CA. If this is the cause of his problems he may need some help to regain his muscles and nerve activity but this would be great news. Still waiting on Results for Botulism. thank you for praying and for giving! 

Update #1
July 18, 2021
facebook twitter

Update: July 18,2021

Kade may possibly be on a ventilator for a few weeks. Still waiting on confirmation of Botulism from California Public Health specialist. This bacteria does not cause fevers so there may be other things going on also. They have called in neurologists and infectious disease team with hopes to rule out even more. Continue to pray and intercede on our family's behalf. Pleas to the Lord and mercy from the great physician is our Hope. 
 

PRAYER REQUESTS

  • Kade is making progress every every day. Please pray for wisdom for his doctors to know when he is strong enough for the ventilator to come out. Also that he will be able to swallow on his own. May be as soon as this weekend. Thank you!

Let's Create Your Fundraising Website!

Create your own page and start accepting online donations.
START FOR FREE

The Leader In Christian Fundraising

Worldwide leader

GiveSendGo is trusted around the world for its simple, reliable fundraising platform.

Simple setup

Personalize, share and start collecting money in just minutes.

0% Platform Fee

Keep more of the money you raise with our no fee platform. Watching you raise money makes us happy.

Share Hope

Raise money to share hope. Money is temporary Jesus is eternal. Give both and watch the world be changed.

Easy Social Reach

Share across multiple social platforms and mobile devices with just a couple clicks of a button.

A+ Customer Service

Real People writing real responses. No cut and paste responses from our top of the line team. We are standing by, waiting to help.